The Motorola MG7310 is a somewhat controversial DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem / WiFi router combo. The DOCSIS 3.0 increased transfer speeds a lot and brought about support for IPV6. The built-in WiFi router supports 802.11ac, N, G and B adapters. The Gigabit (GigE) Ethernet provides a lightning fast connection for all your wired devices.
Save up to 37% when you buy online
While DOCSIS 3.0 isn’t the very latest standard, it’s not exactly antiquated. The only newer standard is DOCSIS 3.1 that supports 10 GBPS downstream, a luxury few people are privy to. DOCSIS 3.0 was a huge improvement over DOCSIS 2.0 and provides A LOT of additional bandwidth and provides support for IPV6. DOCSIS 3.0 is perfectly suitable for all current cable providers.
Built-In N300 WiFi Router
This is a trend in the industry that I can really get behind. Having a WiFi router built-in to your cable modem means that you won’t have to worry about running and maintaining two separate devices. The only downside is that when your cable modem and router are separate you are freer to configure and upgrade your wireless network as you please. However, for most people, this built-in router will provide plenty of wireless access without the hassle of setting up two devices to handle your internet connection. While the name is “N300”, don’t mistake this for a Wireless-N router. It supports AC, N, G and B devices.
Gigabit Ethernet Connection
Gigabit Ethernet is great if you have a centralized server for data storage on your network. The wired connection will provide more than enough bandwidth to serve multiple wireless clients simultaneously. This is great if you want to setup a centralized media server that feeds various devices throughout your home.
Comcast and Time Warner Certified
This cable modem router combo is certified to work with both Comcast and Time Warner networks. That isn’t to say it won’t work with other cable providers, though. The DOCSIS 3.0 standard ensures that your cable modem will be able to connect with any service provider who provides access using this standard. If you’re not sure whether or not this cable modem will work just call up customer support and ask them if DOCSIS 3.0 cable modems work on their network. Odds are the answer will be yes. Or you could check your current cable modem model (if you have one) and see if it is DOCSIS 3.0 compatible.
One of the advantages of having a modem/router combo is that you only need to configure a single device. You don’t need to worry about the extra cabling and power connection. The quick-start guide will get you up and running fast and should you need support you can rest assured knowing that you can call a USA based technical support line to get help. If you’ve ever struggled with support from other countries you’ll know how big of a plus this really is.
Compact Vertical Design
This cable modem stands upright so it doesn’t have a huge footprint. You can easily fit it on your desk or in a tight space if need be. The vertical design also helps to keep your cable modem cool which will ultimately extend the lifespan.
Save up to 37% when you buy online
Features and Specifications
- New in 2016, 8×4 343 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem with a built-in N300 wireless router, four 10/100/1000 Gigabit (GigE) Ethernet ports, and firewall. The 8×4 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem provides speeds up to 343 Mbps, eight times faster than DOCSIS 2.0.
- Certified by Comcast XFINITY, Time Warner Cable, and other leading cable service providers for modem ownership programs that save rental charges of $100 or more per year.
- High-speed wireless router with N300 2×2 Wi-Fi provides Internet access for wireless n, ac, g, and b devices including smartphones, computers, tablets, and HDTVs. Four Gigabit 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet LAN ports provide wired connections to computers, HDTVs, game stations, and other Ethernet-capable devices.
- Setup is fast and easy with a few quick steps set out in a Quick Start guide. Ten status reporting LEDs allow easy status monitoring. Experienced USA-based customer support specialists are there to help if you need them.
- Integrating the cable modem and router creates a more reliable connection that reduces unwieldy wiring and power adapter clutter while conserving desk space. The vertical design further minimizes shelf space, improves cooling and extends product life while looking great in any home or office
Brand Name Motorola
Item model number MG7310-10
Item Weight 2.4 pounds
Product Dimensions 10.8 x 10.1 x 2.7 inches
The customer reviews for the Motorola MG7310 are really a mixed bag. Some people seem to love it and have no problem with it, even reporting an increase in their transfer speeds. Other people, not so much.
Do yourself a favor and click the link below to see what people have to say about this modem/router combo so you can decide for yourself.
See what REAL customers have to say